Tear Australia


New Here?

Giving

Learning

Advocacy & Action

Step

Tear Australia

Our TEAR Group is part of TEAR Australia, which explores and responds to issues of poverty and injustice, towards creating a more just and compassionate world in which all people have the opportunity to achieve their God-given potential.
We are concerned that the 1% richest people in the world between them own as much as the other 99% combined, that inequality is growing, that extreme poverty is still in existence, that many of our household products being sourced from slave labour, and that unprecedented damage is being done to the environment, with the earth’s life support systems being pushed to breaking point.
By contrast, God’s kingdom come on earth would involve a restorative, sustainable economy, living within our environmental limits, keeping inequality within reasonable limits and ensuring everyone has their basic needs met.
So how can we put into practice Kingdom living now?

An insight into the work of Tear Australia

Step

Giving

We give to TEAR’s long-term community development programmes, which are successfully empowering those who face disadvantage in poorer communities. We have been running the Useful Gift Shop at church, where people buy cards which represent sustainable gifts to help poor communities to thrive.

Step

Learning

We learn through TEAR Australia’s publications and resources, such as the Renew our World series, about various justice issues and practical application of the scriptures.

Step

Advocacy & Action

Most of our advocacy and “actions” involve joining together with larger groups, such as Micah Australia, the Australian Conservation Foundation, etc..
We have spent a lot of time conducting surveys and petitions amongst people of faith, and in the wider community, about climate change, and have taken people’s concerns to our politicians.
We also join in with the wider community in “actions” where we can show our concern about stewardship of the earth. One event we support is the annual “Hands Across the Sand” gathering at Semaphore, where people link hands on the beach to say no to risky and dirty deep sea drilling in the Great Australian Bight and yes to a clean energy future.

Our meetings are on the first Sunday of the month starting with an optional shared lunch at 12.30pm, followed by a
meeting from 1.30pm to 3pm.

Service

4 pm Sundays at
Immanuel Lutheran Church
corner Second and Seventh streets 

Address

Office: 3/141 Murray Street Gawler 5118
Postal: PO Box 745 Gawler 5118

Call Us

(08) 8523 2233
(leave a message
if unattended)

Email Us

admin@gawlerbaptistchurch.org.au

Positive SSL